Fri, June 23, 2017

Substitute Teacher Information

A dynamic progressive central Monmouth County K-8 Star School district with a tradition of excellence in education.




Download PDF


Manalapan-Englishtown Regional School District requires a four-year degree.


If you have a four-year degree in education proceed to step 1.


If your four-year degree is not in education, you must complete a substitute teaching seminar course that is offered at Brookdale Community College, three sessions from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Contact # (732)224-2315 for cost and dates.


This course is also offered at Ocean County Community College, William Paterson University & Kean University.


After completing this course proceed to step 1.



  1. You must complete an application on line.
  2. After reviewing the application and requirements are met, your application will be forwarded to one of our Building Principals and you will be contacted by the building secretary to set up an interview.
  3. If you have a successful interview, you will then be contacted by the Human Resources Department to attend a Substitute Teaching Orientation.
  4. At the orientation you will complete all the necessary paperwork to begin the hiring process. eg. Fingerprint Forms, W4 Forms, Employment Eligibility Verification Form, Technology Agreement, Availability Form, Observation Forms, Mantoux Test Form, AESOP (computerized substitute system). You will need two forms of ID (drivers license & social security card).
  5. The Human Resources Department will receive a print out from the Office of Criminal when they generate your clearance letter. When you receive your clearance letter you must forward a copy to the Human Resources Department.
  6. Once the reference checks have been completed and all of the paperwork is in place, and you have received you clearance letter you will then be presented to the Board of Education for approval. If you have not received your clearance letter by the time you are presented to the Board you will be emergent hired and additional paperwork will be completed by the Human Resources Department.
  7. If an applicant holds a NJ Teaching Certificate, proceed to step 9.
  8. If an applicant does not hold a NJ Teaching Certificate a county substitute certificate is needed. A County Substitute Certification application needs to be completed. An original set of transcripts and $75.00 money order (made payable to the Commissioner of Education) must accompany the application that will be forwarded to the County office for processing by the Human Resources Department.
  9. After Board approval you will then be entered into the AESOP database.

A substitute manual and welcome letter will be generated and sent to you with your ID and Pin number.